Join the team that’s building better lives through better communities.
Project Architect – KCG Design
Excellent opportunity to build a “firm within a firm” from the ground up. KCG Design Services (“KCG DS”) is a division of KCG Companies, a growing, multi-family tax credit (LIHTC) development company working in major markets around the country. This position will build the in-house KCG DS production team from scratch under the guidance of the VP of Design Services.
Candidate should embrace entrepreneurial opportunity and the KCG mission of “Building better lives through better communities.”
Responsibilities and Duties
Create construction document capacity for KCG DS (in-house stamped drawings) under KCG DS VP’s license. Initially, this will include direct production work by the Project Architect and includes mangement of third-party architects on 2 – 3 concurrent projects across different KCG target markets.
The Project Architect is responsible for coordinating all phases of project design to comply with program guidelines, and financial constraints per the project’s pro-forma. A proactive, collaborative, and highly communicative approach is expected in this role. Project Architect reports to Vice President of Design Services, Andy Wilson.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Below is a non-inclusive list of responsibilities you will face in this role.
- Keep projects on objective by holding third party consultants and KCG colleagues accountable to established performance standards and timelines
- Clearly and concisely report to VP of Design Services on project progress, team performance, and opportunities for improvement
- Answer the project team’s questions and assist in solving problems
- Develop building layouts that result in efficient structural designs
- Understand and verify efficient compliance with applicable codes and Project Commitments
- Ensure complete team understanding of all project requirements and oversee all potential design phases
- Assemble materials for use in KCG inter-department reviews at critical milestones
- Lead and document project design meetings in all design phases for each project assigned
- Provide construction observation services
- Review shop drawings, submittals, and RFIs
- Provide or coordinate other documents needed by governing officials, inspectors, financial partners, and owners
- Provide services that directly create revenue for KCG DS
- Contribute to improvement of KCG Standards (design and construction spec)
- Create opportunity for additional staff to join the KCG DS team
- Consistently improve communication and process with KCG Preconstruction and KCG Development
Qualifications & Skills
Around 10 years’ professional experience in architecture. Experience with LIHTC projects and process across a variety of states will be highly valued.
Required Experience & Skills
- Direct preparation of construction documents and specifications for multi-family
- Knowledge of accessibility and code-compliance issues facing multi-family buildings
- Experience in architectural setting with developers as clients
- Demonstrated ability to manage teams and information across multiple projects at same time
Required Software Competency
Applicant should be highly skilled and fully competent in the following software programs:
- AutoCAD OR Revit
- SketchUp & Layout
- Bluebeam Revu
- Microsoft Office Suite
Preferred Experience & Skills
Candidates with direct experience or skills in the following areas will be strongly considered:
- Section 42 Tax Credit program (L.I.H.T.C.)
- NGBS, LEED, or other Green Building certification process
- Expertise on Type 1A, IIA, VA, and VB construction
Education & Credentials
- Degree in Architecture from an accredited program (required)
- Valid/Active Architect’s License in at least one state (preferred)
Key Performance Objectives
- Willingness to perform in an entrepreneurial work environment
- Ability to create and maintain design standards and processes
- Proactive problem solving
- Aptitude to manage multiple structural, civil, landscape, and MEP consultants on various multi-family projects
- Comply with schedule, budgetary constraints, project commitments, and code compliance throughout all phases of design
- Submit drawings to state and local authorities in various locations, as well as submit for all variances that may be required
About KCG Companies
Founded on the guiding principle that positive social impact and profitable development are not mutually exclusive, we strive to advance and redefine standards for superior-quality sustainable communities.
Through a community-centric approach, we take pride in our commitment to align our vision with that of the local community, never attempting to force a pre-conceived product into the box that is a new market, and believe doing so allows us to execute on developments that represent long-term value and opportunity for residents.
KCG Companies is a Equal Opportunity employer and offers the following benefits:
Health care: Medical, Dental, Vision
Paid Sick Time
If selected, you will be working at our Indianapolis IN headquarters. Remote candidates also considered on a case by case basis.
Setting the standard for excellence in the multifamily industry. Building communities that connect all who live and work there.
© 2018 KGC Companies, Inc.
9311 North Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260