Join the team that’s building better lives through better communities.
Project Architect – KCG Design
Excellent opportunity to join the in-house design division of KCG Companies, a growing, multi-family tax credit (LIHTC) development company working in major markets around the country. Candidate should embrace KCG mission of “Building better lives through better communities.”
As KCG Design’s Architectural Project Manager, you will be responsible for coordinating all phases of project design that comply with program guidelines and financial constraints per the project’s pro-forma. You will report to the VP of Design Services and will manage 4-6 concurrent projects across different KCG target markets.
A proactive, collaborative, and highly communicative approach is expected in this role.
Key Performance Objectives
- Aptitude to manage multiple structural, civil, landscape, and MEP consultants on various multi-family and/or mixed use projects
- Excellent communication with KCG colleagues
- Lead the project team(s) for multiple projects to comply with schedule, budgetary constraints, and code compliance throughout all phases of design
- Submit drawings to state and local authorities in various locations, as well as submit for all variances that may be required
- Create massing plans and concept site plans to evaluate project feasibility
- Understanding project requirements in order to establish a project-specific design plan
- Proactively solve design, scope, and field issues
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Below is a non-inclusive list of responsibilities you will face in this role.
- Keep projects on objective by holding third party consultants and KCG colleagues accountable to established performance standards and timelines
- Clearly and concisely report to VP of Design Services on project progress, team performance, and opportunities for improvement
- Answer the project team’s questions and assist in solving problems
- Create site layouts that result in efficient earthwork and retention conditions. Ability to direct civil engineer to meet these objectives
- Develop building layouts that result in efficient structural designs
- Understand and verify maximum square footages, necessary fire separations, frequently granted variances, com check, ASHRAE regulations, etc.
- Understand code compliant paths to maximize building efficiencies
- Ensure complete team understanding of all project requirements and oversee all potential design phases
- Assemble materials for use in KCG inter-department reviews at critical milestones
- Lead and document project design meetings in all design phases for each project assigned
- Manage design schedules for multiple ongoing projects and coordinate milestones with KCG Preconstruction and KCG Development
- Contribute to improvement of KCG Standards (design and construction spec)
- Provide value engineering ideas
Construction Administration requirements for all projects:
- Site observation visits
- Monthly reporting by any entity having jurisdiction over project funding (i.e. HUD)
- Review shop drawings and submittals
- Review and respond to RFIs
- Provide or coordinate final certificates of Substantial Completion and other documents needed by governing officials, inspectors, financial partners, and owners
Required Qualifications & Skills
- 10+ years professional experience in architecture and/or construction management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage teams and information across multiple projects at same time
- Experience in multi-family design, including direct preparation of construction documents and specifications
- Knowledge of Fair Housing guidelines and Equal Housing Opportunity requirements
- Experience in architectural setting with developers as clients
- Computer Skills: Excellent design and drafting skills with computer-aided design (CAD) AutoCAD required, Revit preferred, Sketchup & Layout, Bluebeam Revu, MS Office Suite, Adobe creative suites
Preferred Experience & Skills
Candidates with direct experience or skills in the following areas will be strongly considered:
- Experience designing within requirements of Section 42 Tax Credit program (L.I.H.T.C) preferred
- NGBS, LEED, or other Green Building certification process
- Rehabilitation, Adaptive Re-Use, and New Construction
- Strong ability to create 3-D Modeling and presentation graphics
- Adobe presentation software (Photoshop or equivalent)
Education & Credentials
- Degree in Architecture from an accredited program (required)
- Valid/Active Architect’s License in at least one state (preferred)
- LEED or other Green Building Accreditation (preferred)
About KCG Companies
Founded on the guiding principle that positive social impact and profitable development are not mutually exclusive, we strive to advance and redefine standards for superior-quality sustainable communities.
Through a community-centric approach, we take pride in our commitment to align our vision with that of the local community, never attempting to force a pre-conceived product into the box that is a new market, and believe doing so allows us to execute on developments that represent long-term value and opportunity for residents.
KCG Companies is a Equal Opportunity employer and offers the following benefits:
Health care: Medical, Dental, Vision
Paid Sick Time
If selected, you will be working at our Indianapolis IN headquarters. Remote candidates also considered on a case by case basis.
Setting the standard for excellence in the multifamily industry. Building communities that connect all who live and work there.
© 2018 KGC Companies, Inc.
9311 North Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260