Join the team that’s building better lives through better communities.
Preconstruction Manager – KCG Development
The Preconstruction Manager shall perform all management responsibilities and functions associated with the Preconstruction and Estimating department. Responsibilities include motivating, coaching, and managing the employees in the department and or team. This position has the overall responsibility for the successful delivery of preconstruction services thru successful planning, budgeting and project turn over to the construction team. The candidate will need to be team oriented, collaborative individual working within an internal group of developer’s design team and operations. The one company approach to reach the finish line successfully.
In this role, the Preconstruction Manager will:
- Lead the preconstruction services by budgeting, scheduling, organizing, defining roles and responsibilities with input from the construction operations team
- Prepare conceptual, schematic, design development and GMP estimates and deliverables as required to support preconstruction activities and clients
- Contribute to the development of standards, process, practices, etc. as needed for the Preconstruction Services to be a “Best of Class” provider in the construction industry
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings with project architects / developers as appropriate, to acquaint them with unresolved problems and to ensure an adequate degree of coordination is being made to have accurate bidding documents
- Maintain and make corrections / adjustments to Owner’s budget as required to maintain project budget
- Monitor design scope for changes affecting budget and / or schedule; identifies cause, advises customer for customer decision
- Keep customer fully informed of preconstruction progress on the project and of any significant technical problems / solutions and their effect on design and/or costs.
- Identify and promote solution to any problem, which might impede progress of the project or adversely affect customer and architect relations
- Coordinate with Estimating department staff on the development of project budgets and oversee preparation of estimates into format for presentation to owner and architect. Answer budget questions at time of presentation
- Manage the project team’s performance
- Lead value engineering and value enhancement efforts as required to serve the client including development of items and lists, compilation of ideas and presentation of information to the client
- Prepare and or oversee the preparation of all materials presented to the owner, architect or engineer on a project
- Lead and perform constructability reviews of all projects where designated
- Ensure scopes of work and bid packaging are published and coordinated
- Ensure that the turnover of a project from Preconstruction and estimating to operations is done properly with appropriate hand off meetings and all information is transferred to the operations team
- Participate in presentation, as required, and assist in the review and approval of contracts before signing
- Finalize GMP price with client that meets the client’s needs and provide the maximum profitability within the established contract terms and conditions
- Assist in the negotiation of owner contracts
- Assist and lead purchasing of subcontractors and suppliers as required or determined on a project by-project basis
- Work with the Estimating department to evaluate talent of both estimating and preconstruction staff
- Mentor, train, and grow junior and intern preconstruction staff
- Maintain direct communication with the President and Vice President of Operations concerning the capability of project teams and individuals assigned to the project. Assist in preparing project employee performance reviews
Accountability: Accepts personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of his or her work.
Communication: Consistently and proactively communicates well, both verbally and in writing.
Consistency: Consistently follows documented procedures and suggests changes/updates when appropriate.
Teamwork: Builds good relationships and rapport with customers, peers, supervisors, and managers throughout the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or construction management preferred
- A minimum of eight (8) years of construction estimating and preconstruction experience
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in the construction industry
- Strong site civil experience a plus
- Experience required in complex multi-family projects in excess of $20M in value
- Strong team building, interpersonal, decision making, problem solving and negotiating skills needed
- Professional licenses and registrations a plus
- Experience and skills in computerized estimating software, Microsoft Office, and Primavera (P6) or similar CPM scheduling
- Ability to work additional hours as necessary to meet business plan objectives, including client meetings in the evening
- Ability to travel as necessary
- High level of communication skills to be able to lead meetings and presentations in a way that builds confidence, trust and success with team
- Candidates must be located in Philadelphia, PA or Indianapolis IN areas or willing to relocate to same
About KCG Companies
Founded on the guiding principle that positive social impact and profitable development are not mutually exclusive, we strive to advance and redefine standards for superior-quality sustainable communities.
Through a community-centric approach, we take pride in our commitment to align our vision with that of the local community, never attempting to force a pre-conceived product into the box that is a new market, and believe doing so allows us to execute on developments that represent long-term value and opportunity for residents.
KCG Companies is a Equal Opportunity employer and offers the following benefits:
Health care: Medical, Dental, Vision
Paid Sick Time
If selected, you will be working at KCG’s Indianapolis Office or KCG’s Philadelphia Office. Local candidates only.
Setting the standard for excellence in the multifamily industry. Building communities that connect all who live and work there.
© 2018 KGC Companies, Inc.
9333 North Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260