Join the team that’s building better lives through better communities.
Preconstruction Manager – KCG Construction
Preconstruction Manager shall perform all responsibilities and functions associated within the Preconstruction Department’s processes. This position will be responsible for the overall success and delivery of a project(s) preconstruction services thru successful planning, budgeting and project turn over to the construction team. The candidate will need to be team oriented, collaborative individual working within an internal group of developer’s design team and operations. The one company approach to reach the finish line successfully.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lead project(s) preconstruction services by budgeting, estimating, scheduling, organizing in collaboration with the construction operations team
- Manage and/or complete full quantity take-offs to support accurate estimates for all disciplines in commercial and multi-family projects including, but not limited to civil and site work, structural, framing/lumber, concrete, building fascade and interior finishes, and MEPs.
- Prepare conceptual, schematic, design development and GMP estimates and deliverables as required to support preconstruction activities and clients
- Review and provide feedback for each milestone Progress Plans to ensure an adequate degree of coordination is being made to have accurate bidding documents for assigned project(s)
- Maintain and make corrections / adjustments to Owner’s budget as required to maintain project budget
- Monitor design scope for changes affecting budget and / or schedule; identifies cause, advises customer for customer decision
- Identify and promote solution to any problem, which might impede progress of the project or adversely affect customer and architect relations
- Lead value engineering and value enhancement efforts as required to serve the client including development of items and lists, compilation of ideas and presentation of information to the client
- Lead and perform constructability reviews of all projects where designated
- Ensure scopes of work and bid packaging are published and coordinated
- Ensure that the turnover of a project from Preconstruction to operations is done properly with appropriate hand off meetings and all information is transferred to the operations team
- Participate in presentation, as required, and assist in the review and approval of subcontracts and scopes of work
- Finalize GMP price with client that meets the client’s needs and provide the maximum profitability within the established contract terms and conditions
- Lead purchasing of approximately 30% subcontractors and suppliers as required to maintain a positive buy-out on each project(s) and assist with operations team on final buyout requirements
- Preconstruction Manager will be a key collaborator for new and existing subcontractor relationships
- Assist in mentoring, training, and growing junior and intern preconstruction staff
Knowledge required to perform the essential responsibilities of the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or construction management preferred
- Well versed in preconstruction management methodologies and procedures.
- Proven background in residential wood frame on site construction project management.
Skills required to perform the essential responsibilities of the position:
- A minimum of eight (8) years of construction estimating and preconstruction experience
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in the construction industry
- High level of experience with process management and improvement.
- Strong analytical and logic skills with the ability to maintain a high degree of precision on assigned responsibilities
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Excel, project scheduling software programs such as Microsoft Project and Procore
Abilities required to perform the essential responsibilities of the position:
- Share KCG Constructions Core Values of Diversity, Excellence, Passion, Integrity, Community and Teamwork
- Understand and maintain specific geographical market’s labor, commodity conditions and impacts on construction cost
- Ability to manage multiple projects with full ownership during preconstruction and consultation during construction of each project(s)
- Highly proficient with interpreting plans and specifications
- Must have good communication and interpersonal qualities
- Able to work in a high energy environment
- Have a “whatever it takes” and an open mind to help in the strategic growth of our organization
Supervisory responsibilities of the position:
- Supervise and lead the initial buyout requirements for assigned project(s)
- Provide guidance and consultation to and with field construction management staff.
- Provide guidance to and with project trade partners.
Financial responsibilities of the position:
- Monitors, guides and has full control and responsibility of all construction project financials during the preconstruction phase
- Reports the fiscal status of the project on a daily, weekly and monthly bases to both internal and external project stake holders.
- Works directly with the corporate accounting department to ensure the accurate and timely management of project financial assets
Equipment needed to effectively perform duties:
- Modern, highly interactive office equipment.
Physical Working Conditions:
- Position will work out of our Corporate Indianapolis, IN office
- Executive office environment with minimal exhortation
- Frequently required to stand
- Frequently required to walk
- Frequently required to sit
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Continually required to talk or hear
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions
- Occasional exposure to bloodborne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move more than 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision; Distance vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
About KCG Construction
KCG’s projects are primarily multifamily apartment complexes and mixed-use developments across the country.
KCG Companies is a Equal Opportunity employer and offers the following benefits:
Health care: Medical, Dental, Vision
Paid Sick Time
If selected, you will be working at our Indianapolis, IN office.
Setting the standard for excellence in the multifamily industry. Building communities that connect all who live and work there.
© 2018 KGC Companies, Inc.
9311 North Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260